Who Regulates Mortgage Brokers in the UK?

From October 2004 the Financial Services Authority (FSA) took over the regulation of Mortgage Brokers. This was part of the general shake up in UK financial services following the various scandals that arose from allowing the “professionals” to police themselves.

All Mortgage Brokers had to either be authorised by the FSA to provide mortgage advice or be appointed representatives of an authorised firm.

Unfortunately the FSA proved to be something of a disaster and was closed down in 2012. So mortgage brokers are now regulated by the FSA’s replacement the Financial Conduct Authority

How to Complain about a UK Mortgage Broker

If you have a complaint about a Mortgage Broker, you should first attempt to sort it out with the firm. See the FCA general guidelines on complaining about any financial service / firm at https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/how-to-complain

If that fails you can take up the matter with the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Financial Ombudsman Service
South Quay Plaza
183 Marsh Wall
London E14 9SR


0800 023 4567 ( Freephone within UK)<
020 7964 1000 (Switchboard)
+44 20 7964 1000 (From outside the UK)
020 7964 1001 (Fax)


Now that you've read this are you interested in talking to a mortgage adviser? Fill out the quick form below and you'll be contacted soon by an independent, regulated mortgage specialist for a free no obligation quote.

You can save between £6,000
and £15,000 on your Mortgage

Get a custom rate and see how much you will save
by filling out the quick form below.

Value of Property
Borrow How Much
Type of Mortgage:
Bad Credit History?
Yes No